Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sushi Talk





conversation between husband and wife over dinner:

A: *raises three fingers in the air*

T: *blank stare* 3 what? 3 more days until something? 3 weeks? am i missing something here?

A: a third.

T: a 3rd what? car? bathroom? telephone line? help me out here.

A: no! a 3rd kid. he points to our 2 year old, who is looking irresistibly adorable as she draws
pictures of kabob on our extra sushi ordering list. [he's trying the old - look how cute she is, don't you want another, she's about to grow out of the toddler phase trick]

T: downs a shot and half of hot saki.

T: only if you can guarantee me a full-time nanny.

A: i've been thinking about it and i would love for us to get a latvian au pair.

T: as long as she's over 40.

A: no way! she's gotta be under 30.

T: honey, is this nanny for you or for the kids?

A: blank stare followed by nervous laughter.

T: ne paldies. [latvian for: no thank you.]

******
halloween is just around the corner: i've included some pics from last year, that are totally unrelated to the post, but cute nonetheless. :) this year, D will be a flamenco dancer and A will be a pumpkin fairy (again!)


7 comments:

  1. WHAT? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!

    you went to a sushi restaurant without me???

    haha j/k. i loved how you wrote this post. i totally agree, you should have a 3rd. like maybe if george clooney comes around.
    -shadi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Halloween, who's taking the kids trick or treating?

    Imagine how good the kid's Latvian would be if he/she had a Latvian au pair! I think it's a great idea! Gooooo foooor iiiiiit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shadi - that's a great idea! george clooney would totally front the money for a nanny! or since our kid would surely be a model - the money from that could pay for the nanny.
    mohsen - my mom is taking the kids trick or treating. and i'm all for getting a latvian au pair. she just has to be extremely obese or really hideous looking. i'm totally willing to bend on the age requirement if she fits that criteria. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. T - I would be uneasy too if I were in your shoes. Au pairs can be really hit or miss; I've heard stories. Just make sure you do tons of research. If you need advice on what it all entails and good agencies, I can give you names of some Latvians I know. One family in particular has had a steady stream of au pairs coming through for the last 9 years or so, so they'd be great to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That is quite the conversation. I think I'd have the same rule of over 40, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. inga - thanks for looking out, i too have heard horror stories. we shall see...we shall see...
    momisodes - i think the over 40 rule is being way too lax. i'm changing it to over 50. :) that's more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will help you with au-pairs background check on Latvian "facebook and myspace" aka draugiem.lv, I just need her name ;)

    ReplyDelete