Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Driving Miss Dina



a mother's work is never done. we are life coaches, personal shoppers, stylists, housekeepers, nurses (bed pan = diaper in my book), butlers, chefs, and personal assistants to our kids. i have a new job title to add to my resume: chauffeur. dina goes to school 7 days a week. here is her schedule:

monday - K, ballet
tuesday - K, soccer practice
wednesday - K (don't be fooled - I have to drive A to her program on Wed and Thurs)
thursday - K
friday - K
saturday - soccer game, farsi school
sunday - latvian school

since alex has a crazy, inconsistent schedule - much of the chauffeuring duties fall on me.
(note to self: next time you decide to marry a doctor, make sure he's a dermatologist - he'll be home by 5pm every day, never be on call, and you'll be wrinkle-free.)

i can't even imagine what would happen if i ever got a DWI or had to amputate my right leg. my poor kid would not be well-rounded and thus not get into any good colleges, and possibly reside with me forever. *double shudder* (note to self: lay off the vodka on girl's night out, unless you've hired your own chauffeur.)

12 years ago i saw a fortune teller in iran, who told me that one of my future kids would be a soccer star (never mind that this same person said i would give birth to a boy and a girl). so i'm thinking my little soccer sensation could be D. she shows some promise in the video above. i have a feeling A is going to be a wrestler or football player - but she could be my ticket to a college soccer scholarship, because D is just so dainty.

as a parent, you live vicariously through your kids and sign them up for activities/sports that you wish you had done as a child. mom and dad: thanks for the gymnastics, ice-skating (mom's dreams), violin, piano, and santoor (dad's dreams), but they really weren't my thang. my dreams for the girls: guitar or piano, basketball, soccer, art, persian dancing, karate and languages.

i have to introduce the girls to everything (exhausting myself in the process) and eventually let them decide what they like best. as kids get older, some of the roles i mentioned above will certainly diminish. (you better believe my duties as a housekeeper, butler, and stylist will (this last one i will forego kicking and screaming). but i know that for the next 11-14 years of my life, i will be a driver to my kids until they get their licenses. i may even have to buy a van down the road (*shudder*) - as a 3rd car of course if i want to partake in some car-pooling action with other moms in my boat. (are you loving the transportation references?) i can't even think about incorporating A's future activities into my daily schedule, for fear that i may have a thelma and louise moment and drive my car over a cliff (unless of course i meet brad pitt along the way.)

6 comments:

  1. hold up, tbone, don't be knockin the VAN! you know you love it!

    and dina was playing great! way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right. i did secretly like your van. i miss our friendly family soccer games. now that we have the addition of two awesome blonde players, we should set up a game!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo cute! I love how Dina nods her head emphatically as Alex is calling her name at the beginning of the video, like "I know, Dad. I will score a goal, OK?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. go go go go dina go! hilarious. 11-14 years huh?? hmmm. i thought dina will not be allowed to drive till the age of 18? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. to eshghe mani Taraneh. vaghti inha ra mikhonam koli mikhandam va koli delam barat tang mishe va delam mikhad pishet bodam on lahze va baghalet mikardam va mibosidamet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. colleen - there will be many "my parents are totally embarrassing me" moments in her future. :)

    negar - you're right. i forgot about that rule i came up with- which makes me even more depressed.

    bahareh - kheily dooset daram. pasho biya paloo man.

    ReplyDelete