Saturday, January 23, 2010

On a flooded Desert Highway, Cool Rain in My Hair...







just got back from a one week "vacation" in sunny, clear-blue skies california. strike that. it rained 80% of the time! the weather was miserable. the flight to cali was awful. my 2 year old refused to sit in her seat for 6 hours with her seat-belt fastened. i don't think i got one night of good sleep. the 6 year old's asthma is back with a vengeance. a double bed just doesn't cut it for me and alex anymore after sleeping in a king for the past few years. and when i decided to sleep next to the 6 year old, i spent most of the night getting kicked, slapped, and coughed on. did i mention that i almost died on the way home on a 15 row plane due to an insane amount of turbulence from palm springs to denver?

i just need to lie on a beach, under the hot sun, with sand between my toes, a good book in my hands, the sound of waves crashing in my ears and the smell of guacamole close by.

is it bad to sometimes daydream about my girls growing up a little faster? i want to sit on a plane and read my magazine in peace. i want to eat indian food at a restaurant without sharing mango lassi, worrying about my kid making a mess or talking too loud. i want to walk around and explore a new city without pushing a stroller and mediating fights about who can sit in it.

but could i really give up listening to my girls giggle over the most random thing? or give up watching them do impromptu "performances" involving polka and singing atal matal? or stop receiving the endearing back tap when my 2 year old gives me a hug? or give up watching my 6 year old watch my wedding video over and over again with a huge grin on her face?

not a chance. no matter how much i complain, i wouldn't trade this for anything. i mean, really? i wish they could stay like this forever:



5 comments:

  1. i had a wonderful time with you guys last week, and so did jenny! the weather sucked, but the company was great. but i can see how you could use a vacation after your vacation. there's so much more that you do as a parent that keeps you from actually unwinding. and on top of that you got sick again... shooot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was really worried for a second there that jenny would run the other way the next time she saw my kids coming towards her. she was such a good sport and you both were so helpful! i bet jenny has extra shiny hair as a result of anais' primping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I just checked out the facebook photos and they're great! The kids are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry it rained while you were there. I know what you mean about flying with kids. It's never, ever fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This life you describe lying on the beach or eating dinner in peace sounds very familiar to me;) but listening to the girls giggle and say the funniest things is priceless! Sis

    ReplyDelete