Thursday, December 17, 2009

Got Mail?

A and her beloved Mimi

most recent pic of the girls with their cousin

you're not going to believe this: my 5 year old is the proud owner of an email account. i know! crazy, isn't it?? what was my husband thinking? never did i think, i would have to compete with my daughter to get on the computer to check email in the morning. at least not for another 8 or so years. today, i woke up at 7:30am, and found miss D typing away...

T: good morning, D, what are you doing?
D: oh, checking my email.
T: i glance at her inbox and girlfriend has 67
new messages! granted they're almost all from her grandpa flooding her inbox with pics of alex as a cute, chubby baby, but still...
D: mom, how do you spell ____? and these questions persist for a good 10 minutes.

alex had the bright idea of opening D a gmail account, to help reinforce spelling, reading, and writing. and it seemed like a great idea in theory, until she started asking me a million spelling questions...i am trying really hard to be patient, but some of the questions are really unnecessary.

D: how do you spell inga?
T: D, it's right in front of you, see where inga wrote her name at the bottom of her email to you... :)
D: oh yeaaaah....
T: mmmhmmm.

so we've had to place some limits. no checking email until bed is made, clothes are worn, breakfast is had, teeth are brushed, and mommy is asked, "what can i do to help?" did i mention she is a pro at using my iphone, making calls, perusing through pictures, watching videos and listening to music? i just can't believe how tech savvy she is. i'm pretty sure when i was her age, i was still enamored and preoccupied with big bird and elmo. i can't believe my kid was never into sesame street. "that show is for babies, mom," she says with utter disdain.

while on our way to the gym, i had had enough of listening to the itsy bitsy spider, so i ever so inconspicuously change the music and my new favorite song, lady gaga's bad romance, is playing and D asks:
D: mom are you sure lady gaga is the only one singing? because i definitely hear two people singing at the same time in some parts of the song. i just can't believe my 5 year old is using lady gaga in a sentence. i know her uncle is shaking his head right now. :p

in other news, alex is on day 3 of his vacation. the kids have been video chatting with him and miss him a lot. in fact, last night dina had a "nightmare" (after being in her bed for a whole 2 minutes) "because she missed daddy so much," and proceeded to watch the rest of so you think you can dance with me. also, daddy is in the process
of remodeling our basement bathroom and i'm truly impressed. i even got down and dirty and helped install some of the floor tiles. here is a pic for those who require hard evidence.

what? you don't wear hello kitty pajamas to lay down tiles?

i dragged myself to the gym today. i hadn't been in a few months. and i felt great afterwards and have begun the slow and arduous task of losing some weight and getting fit before our trips to iran in march and hawaii in july for a friend's wedding.

i haven't been to iran in 8 years! most of my family there has never met my kids. i can't wait to return to the motherland to see family, eat pizza (yes, eye ran has the best pizza i've ever had - even better than italy!), drink smoothies (sheer-o-moz), buy jewelry (you have no idea), and just walk the busy streets surrounded by the faces and voices of my people.

my resolutions for 2010 are:

1. drop 15 pounds
2. speak more farsi at home
3. become a teacher
4. get A potty-trained
5. practice more patience with the girls
6. sell the house and move to DC
7. take one class for me and learn something new

happy holidays!

6 comments:

  1. I love this post, great update! I love that Dina was asking how to spell "Inga"! :-) Great resolutions, too. Good luck! I'm right there with you with #1, sister. It's good to have an end goal (ie Iran & Hawaii). The pictures of the kids are really cute - Anais looks older in each picture I see of her! Red is such a great color on both of them. Ok, post again soon! Boos!
    -Inga

    ReplyDelete
  2. great resolutions, but i think you need to add "expose kids to quality music". what's this lady gaga business? shoot, i'm gonna have to make you some CDs or SOMEthing...

    anyway, can't wait for IRAN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, so is moving to DC a definite??? I thought that was just on Alex's list. That is very exciting! More info, please. :-)

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great resolutions, I should start to think about mine ;)
    .. and email account at 5 sounds scary to me, that would be in just 2 years for Izzy.
    Have a happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. inga - i'm ready for a weight loss challenge! let's do dis. man tevi trukst.
    mo - haha. yes! more CDs! we love them! i can't wait for you to meet my family in isfahan. you will fall in love.
    colleen - if we can sell the house, the plan is to find a place in DC. we miss city living. i miss you! come visit me!
    inga - update your blog! i looked for you at the latvian xmas party this past sunday...hope you and your family have a very merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tech savvy little one you have! I am very impressed. And I love that you wore Hello Kitty Pj's for laying floor tiles. I definitely would love to do the same in our kitchen :)

    Wishing you and yours happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete