Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Man Gribants Est (I'm Hungry in Latvian)

i had grand plans tuesday. i arranged for my dad to drive down to virginia to care of the kids so that i could take my beginner latvian class. i arrived at my sister's house (my sanctuary in MD) at 2:00pm, after making my obligatory trip to mama lucia and yogiberry (a girl's gotta eat). i receive a phone call from GW, letting me know that the class has been cancelled tonight due to a family emergency. i was bummed. i was excited to start the journey of learning another language. and did my husband think i was the coolest, awesomest wife for taking on this endeavor? did he support me and encourage me and look at me with pure love in his eyes? 

this is what i had envisioned:

T: honey, i have a surprise for you.

A: what is it, my love?

T: i'm going to learn how to speak latvian!! i signed up for classes!

A: *eyes tearing up.* *getting all choked up* you. did. this. for me?

T:  yes, of course, for you. (and for me so i can know what exactly my mom-in-law is saying to you when it's just the 3 of us in a room and it's like i'm not there) but yes, for you darling.

A: i'm so touched. you're amazing!! thank god, you agreed to marry me.

this is how it really played out:

T: guess what?! i signed up to take beginner latvian. there will be 6 sessions at GW.  i'll need you to take care of the kids 3 tuesday nights and my dad will help out on those nights you're working. isn't that great?!

A: this sounds totally inconvenient.  we already know how to communicate in 2 languages with one another - why do we need to add another language?

T: *blank stare. totally deflated.* this is clearly not the reaction i was going for. i was expecting a passionate kiss, ok fine - a pat on the back. jesus. a high five or a thumbs up sign at the very least.

maybe he'll appreciate this once the class is over and i'm whispering sweet latvian nothings in his ear. maybe then, he'll see that this was my way to show him that i love the guy and want to learn more about where he's from and what he's all about.  i also like the feeling of doing something for myself. it's not belly-dancing (which i would really love to learn) or photography, but it's still being in a classroom environment and learning something new. i really miss that. and i know this sounds crazy, but i am really looking forward to going back to school to pursue teaching. being a mom is fantastic and fulfilling, but it definitely doesn't hurt to do something for you and have a goal to strive for.

i got to catch up on 4 episodes of curb your enthusiasm, which totally helped lift my spirits. larry david reminds me a lot of my husband. maybe that's why i love him so much...

****
update:  i got an email yesterday that the latvian class has been totally cancelled. the teacher had some issues, which i'm sure are completely legitimate, but dammit, i'm really disappointed. oh well. they may offer the class again in spring...

8 comments:

  1. tbone, at least you know that i shared your enthusiasm for the class. i was SOOO excited that both you and jenny were taking it. i swear i was grinning from ear to ear, practically skipping down the sidewalk when jenny told me she signed up. i was bummed when i heard tuesday's class was cancelled, and i was downright pissed when i heard the whole thing was cut! you won't get too many of these opportunities, you know? ARGH! anyway, i hope they do it in the spring... they better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for me, I was also enthusiastic! And you and Jenny both know that I, too, was pissed to hear it was cut altogether, especially given that there was a good-sized group signed up. There will be other opportunities though - fingers crossed! I really appreciate your interest in learning and I totally know what it's like to have nothing to do but sit and smile when people are speaking another language. Keep up the interest! Es Tevi milu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a bummer! But I think it means that you now have time for a belly dancing class...

    ReplyDelete
  4. mohsen - you totally made up for alex's lackluster reaction and then some. i'm really hoping it'll happen in the spring...
    inga - you probably felt the way i felt when i found out you were taking persian dance class: "this girl is fucking awesome! i love her!!" :)
    colleen - you are so wise. if only we lived in the same city...i would so make you take the belly-dancing class with me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So bummed:( I know you were trying compete with my sewing class but you know we can always do belly dancing together:-)
    -sis

    ReplyDelete
  6. you and inga were going dooooown. jenny and i are giants compared to you two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. next time I see you remind me to tell you the real story behind cancelation and what happend that day. it was just poorly organized and I was really sorry to hear details. but I was so impressed with all the spouses willing to take this class, it shows commitment.
    Inga, Isabella's and Amanda's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear your class was completely cancelled Perhaps the extra time will allow hubby to warm up to the idea more :)

    ReplyDelete